The Zootopia-themed land at Shanghai Disneyland is now confirmed to open in December. It will be the eighth land within the seven-year-old theme park.
Based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios animated film “Zootopia,” which released in 2016, the new land will include a new attraction, Zootopia: Hot Pursuit, where guests can hop on an all-terrain cruiser powered by a trackless ride system in an action-filled chase through Zootopia’s different districts.
Other themed entertainment experiences and character moments include the Zootopia Park Apartments, where a lineup of animal residents will interact with each other and guests throughout the day, appearing from time to time, in a show.
Guests will also get the chance to spend at Fashions by Fru Fru, a merchandise store owned by Fru Fru, a Zootopia fashionista. The land will also offer a range of casual walk-up dining options.
The official opening of the section has been set for Dec. 20. But before that, cast members have begun extensive preparations to test and fine-tune all of the experiences in Zootopia for operational readiness. In the weeks prior to its official opening, Disney cast members and other invited participants will test selected offerings on specific dates.
Park officials said that Zootopia is driven by Shanghai Disney Resort’s guiding principle of being “authentically Disney, distinctly Chinese.” They describe it as a “fully activated land [that] seamlessly blends Disney’s signature storytelling and creativity with groundbreaking, state-of-the-art technology.”
The original “Zootopia” film was directed by Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush. In China, it earned more than $230 million, making it one of the most successful Disney titles in the Middle Kingdom.
Shanghai Disney Resort, which comprises two owner companies and a management company, is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group. Shendi owns a 57% interest in the two owner companies, and The Walt Disney Company owns the remaining 43% interest. The management company is 70% owned by The Walt Disney Company.