SiriusXM rolled out a new logo, a brand-new app — with a cheaper monthly streaming plan — and a slate of new channels and shows, all aimed at helping the company grow beyond its satellite-radio roots.
The new SiriusXM streaming app will be available to subscribers across North America starting Dec. 14 in Apple’s App Store, Google Play and on Amazon Fire devices with additional platforms and features to come in early 2024. According to the company, the app has been redesigned to provide a more personalized and easy-to-use “lean-back” streaming experience that puts content discovery at the forefront.
Along with the next-generation app, SiriusXM is introducing the newly priced Streaming All Access Plan for $9.99 per month. Currently, the company’s streaming-only plans start at $10.99/month. The news was announced at the company’s “Next Generation” press and investor event Wednesday at Hudson Yards’ The Shed in New York City.
With the launch of the new SiriusXM app, the company will be introducing new guest DJ channel takeovers from over 160 top artists and bands, including Olivia Rodrigo, Cardi B, Alice Cooper, Luke Combs and Maren Morris.
SiriusXM touted new channels coming to the service, including those for Kelly Clarkson — who performed her hit “Since U Been Gone” at the event — Shaggy, who also appeared on stage; Dolly Parton; John Mayer; Smokey Robinson; and true-crime podcaster Ashley Flowers; as well as the previously announced show from James Corden. The company capped off the event with a panel discussion led by SiriusXM chief content officer Scott Greenstein with Clarkson, Flowers and Kevin Hart, whose Laugh Out Loud Radio comedy channel is currently on SiriusXM.
The company provided a first look at the new logo and brand platform, featuring a star embedded in the SiriusXM name. It also showed off imagery and animation for its refreshed dog mascot, now named Stella:
“The introduction of the new SiriusXM streaming experience marks a pivotal moment in our history, one that kicks off a new era of innovation at our company,” CEO Jennifer Witz said. “From can’t-miss live moments to the perfect soundtrack for any occasion, with the new SiriusXM, we are putting our differentiators at the forefront and welcoming in a new generation of listeners, bringing them closer to what they love.”
Key features of the new SiriusXM app include:
- Personalization and curation: Listeners will now see four curated sections: Music, Talk & Podcasts, Sports, and For You, a customized landing page for each listener.
- Enhanced content discovery: New pages dedicated to teams, shows, channels, artists and more.
- Revamped playback: The new and improved media player will be optimized for each type of content, with new audio segments allowing listeners to jump to key moments; transcription and speed control for podcasts and on-demand talk content; live listening updates for sports and beyond; enhanced airplay and casting; and bookmarks for podcasts.
- Improved search: Upgraded search capabilities will make it easier for users to quickly find who or what they are looking for; a new search home page will provide curated recommendations.
- Central audio library: The revamped library feature will let users save their favorite content, including live channels, on-demand audio and podcasts, as well as artists, bands, teams and leagues, with new offline listening and download capabilities.
- Interactive onboarding: New subscribers will be able to tailor their SiriusXM experience at sign-on by selecting favorite artists, genres, personalities, leagues, and topics then browse through and sample tailored channel recommendations.
New original channels and shows coming to SiriusXM include: Kelly Clarkson Connection, a year-round channel with her favorite music and stories behind her two-decade-long catalog of hits; an Audiochuck channel curated by Ashley Flowers, host of chart-topping podcasts including “Crime Junkie”; the Life With John Mayer channel (debuting Nov. 22), hosted by the seven-time Grammy-winning singer-songwriter with shows hosted by Mayer, DJ Diplo and producer Don Was; Dolly Parton’s Rockstar Radio channel (launching Nov. 15 and available for a limited time), featuring songs from her upcoming album “Rockstar” as well as older hits and hand-picked favorites; Smokey’s Soul Town, a new year-round channel available now and curated by legendary singer, songwriter and producer Smokey Robinson; and Shaggy’s Boombastic Radio, a new year-round channel available now, curated by the Grammy-winning reggae icon.
In addition, SiriusXM announced three new channels dedicated to different genres of music from the 2000s: The Flow, featuring R&B hits after the turn of the millennium from artists including Alicia Keys, Ciara, H.E.R., John Legend, Khalid, Ne-Yo and Usher; Flex2K, dedicated to Hip-Hop from the 2000s, featuring such artists as 50 Cent, Drake, Nicki Minaj, J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar; and Alt2K, featuring alternative rock from the artists including Cage the Elephant, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, Muse, The Killers and more.
Also at the event, the company announced new and expanded distribution relationships. SiriusXM and Audible are working together to share content and give subscribers the opportunity to experience each other’s offerings beginning in early 2024. On the automotive front, SiriusXM said it expanded its agreement with Polestar, which is expected to launch with 360L in select model year 2024 Polestar vehicles.
And next year, SiriusXM is expected to be available for guests staying at select Hilton properties as part of the hotelier’s Connected Room Experience. That will let Hilton guests try out SiriusXM — controlling their in-room entertainment from the Hilton Honors app — and to continue their listening at home.